Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Your Family is now Unemployed Too

Be good and understanding of your family. If you are married and/or have kids, they are going through this with you. You are not alone, and you must keep in mind the effects your unemployment is having on your family. This is a rough time for all of you, and you need to be empathetic to the feelings of those you love.

During my period of unemployment, I have had a couple blow-outs, a few yelling fights with my wife; I have snapped at my children more times than I would like; and I am sure I have been a prick to my friends. The reality is that at times, I have not been a wonderful person to be around. The stress has gotten to me, and I have broken down.

Do not be ashamed. Breaking down is normal, and you and your family may all have times when they break down. The longer you have been out of work, the harder it will become, and the more likely you will have a period of breakdown. The day after my grandfather died, my wife called me and told me that the Denver Broncos game did not record on my DVR. I was pissed off and just literally broke down for a fifteen-minute crying jag over the fact that I just wanted to go home and watch football. When I look back on it, I think it was crazy. But the reality of the situation was that the combination of being out of work, tight on money, not getting my football game, and the death of my grandfather just built up, and I cracked.

Well, the reality of your family is they are suffering a little too. I am sure if there are money issues, then that is a significant strain on your family. If your wife or husband has had to go back to work like mine, that is an additional stress. Your kids are not getting all of the things or doing the same things that they did when you had a job. There is serious stress on all of you.

Make a significant effort to tell your family that you love them. Try to do the little things that will make them happier. Do the laundry or finish your around the house to-do list. Spend more time playing games or sports with your kids. Make time for your family and let them tell you how they are feeling during this period. They may need to talk, just as I advised you to talk to family and friends. Listen, don’t solve…just listen.

No comments: